Wednesday 5 November 2008

CAPSULE CABARET #3

the performance of


Palomar in Society - On Biting the Tongue.


Basically it reads from top to bottom:

Palomar in society

On biting the tongue
"Any edible tongue will be mashed into a pulp by the teeth"

Part of capsule cabaret afternoon
Animation & Performance

from 2:15

(That's when ours was, I wasn't quite sure when it officially kicked off at the time of making this poster)

in the BA Illustration studio.


Basically just a lot of collected imagery, a warped photocopy, stencilled text, some edited text (that originally said: "Anything edible will be mashed into a pulp by the teeth, jaw and tongue")


I am quite comfortable working in punk style cut-n-paste, so this was pretty easy to piece together really. I think using warped photocopies as a background works quite well for black and white, as it has a textural material-like quality to it.


I also made this beast.

Mr. Palomar now resides in my kitchen/lounge in Halls.
His grey skin tone represents the greyness of his character. Always "umming and ahhing"
His eyes move in unison (not of their own accord) and his maxilla and mandible (thanks, Hunterian) are seperate so his mouth opens and he had a big foam tongue but it was rather rank so i didn't bring it home.

Originally, he was supposed to have an empty white box showing his mind and thoughts through projection. In the end he was a kind of minor part as most of the focus was on the animation, which was on a white curtain. I was behind the curtain operating the eyes, jaw and tongue.

It was a little bit shambolic on my part because I couldn't see what was going on and hadn't chance to rehearse as such! I enjoyed it though, it was a larf.




No comments: