Wednesday 5 November 2008

CAPSULE CABARET #1

We had to make a storyboard on the texts we had been given. My group's was Palomar in Society - On Biting the Tongue. We assigned ourselves six each images each or so.


Here are mine.
Mr. Palomar's brain.

Thoughts.

Zig zags.


Flashback in mind (circle).


Consequences.


Propaganda eyes.

The originals are on A4 paper done with biro. I sketched the first one out, then folded it to A5 size. I then scaled up that section, using a grid method and did the same from the second to the third one.
They are not the greatest drawings in the world but I think 'Thoughts' and 'Zig zags' are pretty succesful in that they benefit from the textures I used, which are diagrams of brain processes.
I am still not sure whether I should have used colour. I like the uniformity that comes from keeping it black and white (not to mention having to pay 5p rather than 70p on the photocopier!!!) but with hindsight of the last 3 projects or so (as well as line drawings from British Museum) I am starting to become sick of never using colour.
The way I replicated sections was a decent method, i reckon. I masking taped the original to a new piece of A4, put it up to the window and basically traced it.
The only one I'm really unhappy about is 'Consequences'. I feel that the bars look cack-handed and the hands look cackbarred. I should probably have put more detail into the eyebrows too, esp on 'Propaganda eyes'. Can't win 'em all!

No comments: