Thursday 30 October 2008

HUNTERIAN MUSEUM

PICKLED PEOPLE PARTS AND OTHER SICK DELIGHTS.

The ribs and thoracic and limbar vertebrae showing metastatic tumours.





A prolapsed jejunum showing approx 4 inches of small intestine passing into the section immediately below.


One of the arms of an octopus showing the suckers on the inner surface.

I was a little disappointed with how some the pencil drawings turned out, but this one reassured me.

The foot of an infant showing the early eruption of smallpox over its surface.
I wish I had taken a camera because the jars were so old that when you moved the item would distort really nicely.



Cranium, probably European male, and a male skull from which part of the cranial base and the right zygoma have been broken off.
I was especially pleased to see shelves full of broken skulls. Skulls make up a massive part of my aesthetic ideals that it was good to draw from life/death.


Deformed tusk of an African elephant.
I was becoming increasingly conscious of how many more drawings I had to do in the timescale given, so I chose an easy draw. Imagine that on an elephant's face though!!


Part of the rectum with the urinary section of the cloaca of an ostrich.
First time I've ever drawn one o those!! I thoroughly enjoyed it, the folds were great and I thought it was funny the way it was strung up from the corners. Does anyone know what a cloaca is?


Head of a young chimpanzee.
This was so harsh I had to draw it. The pencil marks have gone a little messy, a lot of the definition (the tongue mainly) has been lost.


The sac of a large hernia, believed to have been congenital, of the inguinal region.
This piece almost looked like a flower or something. If someone said "hernia sac" to most people, i'm pretty sure nature's beauty wouldn't be the first thing that comes to mind.


At this point I got fed up of the 'delicate' pencil drawings I was doing and wanted to make some bold marks, so for the second half I used fineliner. I think it was a wise decision as the next ten have so much more clarity than t'others.
The foetus of a puppy with no facial features and an abnormally small head, probably caused by the absence of the brain above the brainstem.

The upper half of the body of a foetal pig, showing excess accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the cranium.
Everything was backlit and the head looked amazing cuz it was translucent. I didn't quite manage to capture the 'lolling' tongue as well as I coulda though.


The foetus of a pig showing severe malformation of the hind limbs and pelvic girdle. This is probably my favourite image from the whole trip. Once again the arms were strung up into a little zombie pose.


Painted silver prosthetic nose, early 19th century.
After reading the accompanying text I had to write it out because it made me laugh so much. The funniest bit was that it was like a burgundy colour so it wouldn't have matched anyone's skintone anyway!!


the upper body of an Asian house shrew, showing the position of the teeth.
It was cool how they were dissected into upper body, lower body etc. in some cases. It makes for a self contained and well composed drawing!


The body of a lizard dissected to show the viscera.
This one wasn't so great to be honest, the lizard had a lot of texture that I couldn't properly record without making the drawing look too busy, consequently the 'chest' scales look crap.


The lower body of a sparrow, caught during breeding season in late spring, dissected to show seasonal testicle growth.
Nice. They had one for every few weeks of the season. Sadists.


The toe of a lion.
Cats are awesome so I really enjoyed drawing this. From the size of the claw you get an idea of how much damage this beast could actually do. The fur was amazing and I think that using a fineliner and drawing it the way I have gave it a bold effect that I may try to replicate in the future.

Lemur skulls. I thought these were cute.


The maxilla and mandible of a child aged 6 to 7 years old. The permanent teeth begin to erupt around this age and the lower incisors are just emerging. I don't know where I thought permanent teeth came from before I saw this, but this really surprised me. Are they in there the whole time, or what? I think the drawing was quite successful, especially the eye sockets and the nasal region.




All in all, it was a good day out. Lots of curiosities and most importantly,
SKULLS.
I'm even considering going back to draw the first ten again in fineliner...
Watch this space.

No comments: