Tuesday 23 June 2009

Leisure...

This is my work for the 'Jump The Shark' exhibition at Camberwell Leisure Centre (20th-28th of June 09).

In case yer wondering... This was my thought process:
Leisure → Sport → Competive element → Wierdest competitions/contests...

And from a list of obscure and pretty bizarre contests such Cheese-rolling, Moustache-growing, Knobbly knees and Flaming Tar-Barrel Carrying (unsure of the official name for that one!)
I chose to focus on 'The Egremont Crab Fair' in Cumbria, also known as the World Gurning Championships. I knew this would give me interesting subject matter for making art.

I was originally gonna look for a gurning association of some description in London but after hours of trawling google this started to look improbable... So I decided to work in clay and base my work only loosely on real gurners, using my imagination to fill in the blanks.

Here is the final piece in its the exhibition space.


Close ups of the individual models:






No comments: